Thursday 16 June 2011

6 common data protection risks

Dear Colleagues,

 

A couple of data protection issues have arisen today and as I was going for my lunch I was thinking about a few of the common data protection risks I have seen in schools. Here we go.....

 

·         Writing down passwords and usernames in the inside cover of a diary (this goes on a lot!!!)

·         Not logging out  and closing the browser when you are using an online system

·         Not deleting pupil data when it is no longer needed

·         Keeping pupil data on unencrypted computers and memory sticks (if it’s lost on the bus....)

·         Not checking the credentials of contractors that support with ICT

·         Sharing usernames and passwords (treat it like your toothbrush –never share)

 

I don’t want to suggest I’m perfect - I’m not, I’ve made some of these mistakes myself. However, there have been some pretty high profile cases of organisations that have ended up with big fines that could have been avoided if a little more care had been taken...

 

And so finishes my sermon;-)

 

Dan Warner

ICT Adviser

London Borough of Haringey

Haringey PDC

Tel 02084895058

 

No comments:

Post a Comment